Monday, December 09, 2013

A shout into the void.



Finite/Infinite
10 x 10 cm
Acrylic on Panel.
For sale, click here (auction).

First of all, hello! Are there many of you still reading here? (Let me know in the comments, if you have time!) I've been in Germany since around May, and had lots of adventures, none of which I have bothered to post here. Now that winter is here, I might make a post with some of my instagram photos. We've been lucky to see some special people, places, and wonderful works of art.

Some of you followed my oil painting journey of a hundred and something paintings a couple of years ago, and know that I did that other little experiment last year of 60 acrylic paintings in a row. My rough calculations tell me that the tally must be at over 200 little 'from life' paintings.

A couple months ago, after letting that sit dormant for a while, I suddenly felt like painting the still life again. The story is that we went to the Wallraf museum in Cologne and I fell head over heels in love with this painting by, German painter, Georg Flegel. It was so enjoyable to spot motifs in the still life section that are still being used by artists today (the peeled lemon, for one thing!) I've also been inspired by some magnificent cosmic displays: meteor showers, the ill-fated Comet ISON, Venus shining bright this month. And while we were in Bavaria: Watching the last rays of sun make the clouds pink behind one mountain, as the moon rose behind the other.

This time around, I went with black backgrounds. I don't know why, but I knocked that first one out so quickly that it felt like all the work is finally starting to pay off. They are still difficult, but they feel a bit easier.

A few sold at Retrospect's booths at the European Art Fairs, and a couple I have for sale (direct buy and auction) on my DailyPaintworks gallery. At the moment, I'm keeping them small, in case I have to bring any back with me.




Nature Morte
30 x 42 cm
Acrylic on Panel
(sold)
Bee, Mandarin, Marble
15 x 15 cm
Acrylic on Panel
Might still be available through Retrospect.


Cosmos
10 x 10 cm
Acrylic on panel.
(sold - to incredible fellow artist, Jeremy Piert.)

Cosmic Candy Cane
5 x 10 cm
Acrylic on panel
(sold)
Bee, Plum, Marble
10 x 10 cm
Acrylic on panel
(sold)




Cosmic Mandarin & Satellites
30 x 30cm
Acrylic on panel.
Available, click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool still lifes. Helen